Sunday, July 30, 2006

Discovery

So happy.
Decided to do something I've been too lazy to do for the past 5 weeks: go for a real walk.
There's a mountain behind my apartment (there's mountains everywhere) and it's green at the top. So I put on kitten heels and started walking in the hot hot sun, up up the steep little streets behind my place. Already I was happy. There are little shops, houses, tiny dogs, great views, less noise, better air.
Then the road diminishes, there are huge slate-like rocks upended alongside the track, curious. There are a insects everywhere, a little pagoda thing with a guy doing yoga, a botanical garden with signs identifying the flowers with their Latin names. I'm up really high, looking down on my suburb, the road I travel to work, out far to the next mountain, the next range, the next suburb. A huge black butterfly flies close to me, so big that at first I think it's a bird. Then I see some birds, like magpies but with blue wing tips. Flowers everywhere. Hot as hell. Sweat pouring down my next, back, legs.
Wonderful.

4 comments:

Dave Mack said...

Sounds fantastic.

Long walks by yourself in foriegn places are great for your mind body and soul.

When I lived in Paris for a month I would often take long walks from one side of the city to the other by myself. I got to see all kinds of things that I would have missed if I had just stuck to the tourist haunts or stayed in my Dad's apartment all day watching the BBC.

I find when you're by yourself you're really able to appreciate the awesome fact that you're in a completely different part of the world!!!!

I can't wait to get overseas again!

*sigh*

richardwatts said...

Sounds superb, and reminds me of one of my highlights in Barcelona, which involved getting lost on a mountainside before walking back into the city along the docks. Magical.

Helen said...

You don't have to go overseas to do this, put on your shoes and different head before you set out. Take water.

Baby Doc said...

So wonderful to hear things are looking brighter....

I FINALLY managed a good look at the photos. Made me smile.....

NOvember will be here before we know it, and by then I will be a REAL baby doc.....