Monday, April 01, 2019
One hundred kilometres walked, in twenty five hours.
It's hard to own it and figure out what made me successful. The text Charlie sent me saying 'full grit' totally resonates.
I was in pain from early on, blisters appearing on both feet. My muscles were better than I feared, quads getting achy in the final quarter. When it was cold.
We chatted. We remembered the trail. Just two small sections we'd never walked. We worried about the rain. We talked about the times. When support crew was coming. We ate heaps of sugar. We thought about Jen and how to keep her going and if she was going to make it.
I jogged up hills, it was easier on my body. I fell asleep and kept on walking. I couldn't think of anything.
I think I felt euphoric for the final 5-10km as I knew it was going to happen, I would complete.
Monday, December 31, 2018
Started to realise she's not a little kid and can differentiate judgement based on younger kid's ages, such a one and two year old cousins.
Needs interaction with peers, gets bored and frustrated by our compacted a few solid days, gets topped up and energised by playdates.
Some perfectionist tendencies.
Demonstrated shoelace tying much to our amazement. Probably has other secret skills that we don't know about.
Loves to be told stories from my childhood at bedtime.
Remembers everything. Very helpful for going shopping.
Just started on Roald Dahl after first encounter with Enormous Crocodile in Doune.
Loves loves the water and swimming.
Goes barmy when fed sugar.
Loves pink and twirling dresses.
Draws people - as of today - with wide smiling mouths.
Still with training wheels on bike.
Started rock climbing and is super enthusiastic about it.
Started whittling and sliced her thumb open but healed super fast.
Not very good at sharing with her two year old cousin.
Can play by herself on mornings when she wakes up early.
Friday, October 12, 2018
Still runs to bed.
Had another haircut, but she wants it longer.
Is starting to enjoy maths ideas.
Has borrowed a bigger bike from a six year old friend, with a basket, still on training wheels.
Almost always will share her special thing with you.
Loves to take doll in for repeated show and tell.
Swimming lessons on Sundays and Chinese lessons Thursdays. But not regular.
Told the dentist her favourite food is broccoli. Is bragging to everyone about her upcoming trip to Scotland.
Occasionally pesters for a sibling.
Lots of new words that surprise us.
When she's really really excited or happy, her eyes start to turn up at the sides.
Getting better at the idea of practice.
Sunday, July 08, 2018
Perfectionist. Gets frustrated with a sub par effort.
Seems to be comfortable hanging out with different people. Adaptable. Hangs out with kinder friends and any visitors at home and seamlessly switches.
Practising the art of conversation.
Producing heaps of drawings. A week or two solid of the same thing at a time. A month of princesses. Then princesses with striped rainbow dresses. Then princesses with families. Then princesses with hair. Then princesses with castles. Castles with doors, door handles and windows. First buildings. Yellow sun up top and green grass underfoot. A flower with petals, and two leafs up its stalk.
|Self portrait by Milla as a four year old.|
Her desk is always piled up with cutting, drawing, papers, textas, sticky-tape.
Friendly. Beautiful. Matter-of-fact.
Monday, April 30, 2018
Sunday, February 04, 2018
Saturday, January 06, 2018
|Self-portrait. Pretty Valley, 10 January 2018.|
- Tintin is the best and she talks about going to Kathmandu. Totally understood and was compelled by the story of the Yeti.
- Rides with training wheels and riding gloves. Loves going fast. Good using her brakes. Hasn't practised scooter yet.
- Sleeps through. Sleeps great in tent.
- Mostly wet nappies, overnight, but desperately wants to rid them. Not yet.
- Lately gets sore tummy and gets upset and distracted by it. Joy when a poo comes.
- Great at remembering directions, landmarks, where to turn.
- Tells us she loves us.
- Gets a little sweaty head. We're so glad her hair got cut.
- Loves princesses and talks about magic. Occasionally puts spells on us when angry!
- Gives excellent hugs and hangs on so tight with feet and legs when carried.
- Everything has to be negotiated. She has her own ideas about how things should be.
- Started to get noticeably physically stronger.
- Doesn't deal with sugar very well. Usually sends her loopy.