Thursday, August 17, 2006

Thunder

Can't believe I forgot to say that I saw Thunder in Ilsan!
Thunder, which is 'chundung' in Korean, is the name of a horse that stars in a new Korean movie called 'Lump of Sugar'. I've seen the posters of a smiling girl and a horse around the place. Never could have dreamed I'd be lucky enough to see the horse for real. Thunder had a tiny jockey in silks atop it as it paraded through the Ilsan shopping mall and posed for photos.

There's a few changes to my working life. Basically, more work. Longer hours.
Next week I begin my extra teaching class which will comprise my colleagues here at the school, all the kinder and elementary teachers - who are themselves Engrish teachers. Twice a week I'm to facilitate an hour-long 'class' at 6.30pm where all us ladies will sit around and talk in Engrish... About what? I have no idea. I will need to come up with something. And snacks, too.

And - does anyone remember Pong Su?
I'm gonna read up on it so I don't get my facts wrong. But it was a North Korean boat that got busted bringing heaps of heroin to Australia - Lorne, actually. Twas extra contraversial cos they reckon one of the guys on the boat was part of the North Korean government. No-one was convicted, but the Australian military destroyed the boat by bombing it (what?!). The Koreans and others on the boat faced trial and were deported. It made me think - did they spend time in Maribyrnong Immigration Detention Centre? Probably.

4 comments:

Cade said...

Mmmm I could talk about snacks week after week for hours, there are endless musings to be had.

Bonnie Conquest said...

And there are soooo many new and interesting snacks here. Most of which, happily, can be bought in bulk.

Anonymous said...

Oh God Jess, not tutoring teachers!When I was over there I had to be my bosses' private Engrish tutor after school everyday and *hated* it. There is only so much you can talk about families and interesting facts about Korean and Australian culture... plus she was a total psycho anyway who couldn't string a sentence together which was ironic, given that she was the director of an English Language School. She still, however, insisted on telling me each lessn about her bad marriage and her awful in-laws.

I hope it's better for you..!

Bonnie Conquest said...

I hope so, too, Kira!
I'll let you know - first session tomorrow. So nervous. NO IDEA what to prepare.