Sunday, August 20, 2006

Curiously Uneven Blessings

I think I may use a paraphrasing of John Kenneth Galbraith's as much as possible. In my care package from KP was a copy of Overland, which looked strangely familiar... Then I remembered I had done something of a proof when sitting at Dante's. Ahhh. Anyways, it's about the Australian ugliness, and there's a bit of Boyd, a bit of Galbraith. I loved the idea of 'the curious unevenness of their blessings', which comes from this passage in The Affluent Society ::

"The family which takes its mauve and cerise, air-conditioned, power-steered, and power-braked car out for a tour passes through cities that are badly paved, made hideous by litter, blighted buildings, billboards, and posts for wires that should long since have been put underground. They pass on into a countryside which has been rendered largely invisible by commercial art... They picnic on exquisitely packaged food from a portable icebox by a polluted stream and go on to spend the night at a park which is menace to public health and morals. Just before dozing off on an air-mattress, benath a nylon tent, amid the stench of decaying refuse, they may reflect vaguely on the curious unevenness of their blessings."

I think my Zenit is a curiously uneven blessing. Oh the joy. So I've posted the most recent photos from it in my Zenit folder. And here's one for you, taken on the hill behind where I live.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent photograph.
excellent lazy saturday picnic.
excellent friend bc.

i on the other hand....

went and ate a mountain of kimchi pajon tonight instead of doing the mountain of review work for tomorrow's exam.

not so excellent student.

j. ethan duran said...

how many coffee beans should i put in the grinder?