Monday, November 23, 2015

Falls Creek

We're back.

Same as ever but not at all. Back to the Bogong High Plains. Where we did the longest multi-day hike ever. Where we camped below the roof of Victoria. Where we turned back on the Mt Cope track, but not before I took some of my favourite photos. That was years ago. May 2011.

Cope Hut, 8 May 2011.
Back to Falls Creek where Milla cracked all those teeth through her gums, so painful, so unhappy. That was seven months ago.

Charlie doing training, that's what got us up there. He was effervescent on the Ring Road, Friday night, past 7pm, we were on our way.

Long drive, Milla dressed in her merino gear for an easy transfer to the tent, she fell asleep, we high-fived, I fell asleep. Around Mount Beauty, Milla woke up, I tried to soothe her. We wound up the mountain. She started throwing up. We couldn't stop, she was gurgling. Horrible. By the light of the moon, we cleaned up. The mountain forest was beautiful. Changed clothes, kept going. Another spew just before the village. A quasi-change of clothes and then press on to Langford West Horseyard on the Omeo side of Falls. Milla quiet and peaky.

Set up at the familiar spot, two tents now. Milla went to sleep quickly, but it was after 1am. A long day.

Waking happy.
From the wake up on Saturday morning things straighten out again. Life is good. Charlie rode, met up with a friend. Milla monstered, took naps, we did a walk along the aqueduct towards Roper Hut, with a random that I made friends with.

Saturday night we had camp dinner, listened to bogans chainsaw, and when Milla went to bed, we sat by the aqueduct and chatted. After a while I checked on her, howling! I lay next to her, she relaxed, I fell asleep.

Sunday I ran, the morning was glorious. Breakfast in a singlet. The weather closed in later, as I revisited Mt Cope track, with Milla sleeping on my back. We sat on the step of Cope Hut and had a snack.

Milla at Cope Hut, Bogong High Plains.
Drive home following picnic lunch in Mount Beauty, Milla didn't sleep, not til nearly home, but we were all content. We did it.

No comments: